Family Pic

Family Pic

Monday, January 7, 2013

Halloween and Thanksgiving

Typically we wouldn't group these two holidays together, but since Heather and I are playing catchup, we're posting outside of the box.  So here's a quick overview of our holiday fun.

Halloween
Heather has been looking forward to Halloween for a while.  Before we left the US, she had ordered a themed costume for the whole family, which was smart since costumes were a lot more difficult to find here.  For this year, we dressed up as the characters from Little Red Riding Hood.  Here's how it turned out:
In case you can't tell, our little Sienna, the woodcutter, is eating her pretend saw.  Elli liked her costume until she saw all the princesses at the party, and then she just wanted to be a princess too. Oh well. 

AIT organized a party for Halloween, which turned out great.  Everyone brought a scary dish.  We made monster deviled eggs and decorated them as vampire, ghoul, and dragon eyes.  They turned out very fun.

One of the biggest drawbacks about living abroad is that we miss out on fully enjoying American holidays.  For Halloween, we were sad about missing out on taking our kids trick or treating.  Thankfully, there is one neighborhood where many American families live and they welcome trick or treaters every year.  So we took Elli and Sienna trick or treating, and they loved it!  Elli was especially adorable, and was thrilled to be getting so much candy.  One family even made a mini haunted house in front of their house and it was actually pretty scary!  Here is a pic of Elli with her friend Evelyn, who was also a Little Red Riding Hood.  (If you look closely, you can see the compromise Heather made with Elliana: "You can wear your pink princess dress up if you still wear your red riding hood cape.")





Thanksgiving
Even though we lacked a Turkey Bowl or any other football, for the matter, we still enjoyed the most important aspects of Thanksgiving ... food.  Oh yeah, and good friends to spend it with, too.  Several families from our apartment building and other nearby buildings got together and enjoyed a great Thanksgiving feast.  It was very low key, which was perfect.  We had a great time.
So even though we missed our family and friends a lot, we still had a great time celebrating two great American holidays.




 Heather made homemade rolls for the first time, and they were delicious.  Elli helped Heather make pumpkin chocolate chip cake, too.  She was an excellent taster.  And Sienna watched on with her big smile.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job on the rolls, Heather! Looks like Thanksgiving was a great success! I'm surprised the guys didn't throw together a "flag" football game!
Halloween looked like some spooky fun, too! You were all cute parts of the story! Heather, I remember that old white shawl! I think I wore that around in Junior High--a good 45 years ago. It is holding up pretty well!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I forgot to sign my post about the shawl. Poor Sienna, though! She had to be a Hunstman for her first Halloween! Love, ��Mom (Christine)

Cheri said...

That's your old shawl mom? Wow, that's funny. I guess I just thought it was dress up stuff. I can imagine you wearing it around though. It seems very hippie cool.

I love the Red Riding Hood theme. Very creative. Pretty cloak for Elli too. Love the Deviled Eggs also. Well done. I'm glad you had so many friends to celebrate the holidays with. What is Todd doing with the kids? Is that a train? Cute. Your kids are so sweet. I want to eat them up!