Family Pic

Family Pic

Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Woodruff Hotel…All Are Welcome

As anyone who occasionally looks at our blog will already know, Heather and I are cyclical bloggers, to use an economic term. We’re like the ocean tides: sometimes we post a number of entries all at once (or relatively close together), and at other times it’s kind of a dry spell. So, to make up for our lack of postings, here are a few. Over the past couple of months, we’ve had a number of visitors come and visit us. We love having company over, and we wish we had the time to devote an entry for each of guests. But since we’re just kinda lazy when it comes to blogging sometimes, we’re going to group them all together.

The first of our summer visitors were our good friends Tom and Mandy. Mandy has some family out here, and so while they were out visiting family, they spent some time with us. We had a great time checking out the Natural History Museum.








The next set of visitors was Erin and Cameron. They came for the 4th of July. And we’re glad they did because they helped us achieve one of goals. Heather and I were determined that we would see the July 4th fireworks from downtown DC while we lived here. But traffic and the metro are horrendous the night of the 4th, which I’m sure is not hard to understand. So, when we found out last summer that Erin and Cameron we’re going to be here around the 4th, we all decided to rent a hotel room downtown so after the fireworks were over, we could just walk a few blocks and hit the sack. Sure beats fighting traffic for four hours. So that’s what we did. And it was amazing! I’ve never seen a fireworks show quite so big, loud, and impressive. There’s just something about celebrating the independence of our nation while sitting on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial overlooking the Washington Memorial and the Capitol Building. Man I love this country! Before the show, we spent the day wandering around downtown seeing some of the sights. We toured the International Spy Museum and honed our secret agent skills (we even got to crawl through a heating duct in the ceiling to practice being sneaky). We also saw amazing portraits of rappers, US presidents, and other famous figures. Random, I know, to have portraits of rappers at a Smithsonian museum, but there they were all the same. Kind of out of place, if you ask me.





Our last set of visitors was my uncle Dave and his boys, Tanner and Taylor. They stayed with us for a few days then missed us so much that they came back and stayed with us a few days more! We were thrilled that they decided to stay with us for a few days while on their east coast tour. It had been way too long since I’d seen them, and boy had Tanner and Taylor changed. They’ve really grown up. We had a great time together hanging out, watching “National Treasure II,” and playing Settlers of Catan. Next time, Heather and I will have to go out to their neck of the woods.





1 comment:

Cheri said...

I would have totally cried during the fireworks. What an opportunity!